Sunday, April 18, 2010

Great Class!!


Been a long time since I blogged! Dustin's class was a huge success. The class was full and everyone learned so much. Dustin is such a great teacher and knows how and why things happen and can help you correct them. He knows his stuff. Which brings me to my blog subject.

This is mainly for glass bead artist but I believe it relates to any medium. I believe it is important that as a student in class you should be learning techniques that stretch your bead making skills. The teacher should not only know how to make the beads they are teaching, but how and why things happen and how to correct them. Can you take the skill sets you are learning and incorporate them into your work? Does the teacher know a WIDE variety of skill sets or just the ones they use? Are the beads you are learning the same bead just different patterns or shapes but basically the same bead.

As students you should learn TONS of information. You should be challenged, pushed, taught, and come away with new information you didn't know before.

As a teacher you should know the history of beads, both ancient and modern, the techniques that are the foundation of our art form, how and why things happen (like why the bead release is breaking, how to correct off center beads and tricks to correct them, why you would use a brass marver or a graphite marver, why you would use transparent glass vs opaque for a bead...) Teachers should know their stuff. Can you imagine a art history teacher only teaching the Impressionist period?

I expect a lot from the teachers of our art form and as students you should too.

3 comments:

  1. I think this is so true. I'm taking my first lampworking class in August and will keep these things in mind when I take it, see how it compares!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!!! How exciting to have Dustin come to your studio to teach...what an amazing opportunity. You do raise some great points about teaching...it's something I'm considering on a small scale locally. For now I've enjoyed being a student whenever I can. :-)
    Cindy
    www.sweetbeadstudio.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori have fun in class, I know you will love it.

    Cindy my best advice for teaching is to use the vast amount of information on the ISGB web site www.isgb.org
    You can find what techniques should be included in a beginning class and safety info. Starting out small is a great idea! Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete